About Me

My photo
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
www.joeytichenor.com

Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The importance of being aware



One of the most important parts of being a photographer is situational awareness or knowing your surroundings. I see opportunities unfold almost every moment during the day and being aware means the difference between getting a great shot or regretting your timing for life. Case and point, "Darren-The American Refugee". I saw Darren as I was leaving the one and only gas station in between Bakersfield & Sacramento. My assistant and I had stopped to refueled, picked up some supplies and were headed away down an entrance ramp when I noticed the cart in my rear view mirror. About a nano second later I realized there was a guy there also and it looked amazing and I would be a fool to not try & make a portrait of this scene. I have to add that it was about 105 degrees and very windy out at the time.

I pulled my car over to assemble my camera, light & battery pack. I had just bought water although, I wasn't that parched so this became my ice breaker so I proceeded to throw it in reverse and go back to get the shot.

My assistant & I greeted the man and gave him the water, which to him must have been quite the sight-two pale white midwesterners offering water- "Grow a beard and call me Jesus" I joked. I asked him his name which he replied "Darren" hoarsely. I asked where he came from, asked him if he was OK and after all that asked if he would mind if I make a portrait. He agreed, I snapped just 5 frames and we were gone. In less than 5 minutes I got the shot I saw in my rear view mirror. Thanks Darren, I hope you made it to where you were going.

No comments: